Skip to main content

New Year, New School

First let me start by saying, where did the summer go?!? It went by so fast and we only did a few of the things we wanted to do. Guess we will have to push some of those plans into September/October timeframe. I don’t know who said there aren’t any bad goals only unrealistic timelines. So I guess I tried to pack a little too much into my goals for this summer, so I’ll just move the timeline to this fall. :)

As I mentioned in a previous post we have moved my daughter to one of our local charter schools, and much to my amazement the summer has nearly ended. Tonight we are going to an ice cream social at the school where we get to meet the teacher and put away her school supplies. I can only imagine the anxiety she is experiencing. This change has come with some reluctance on her part and I really can’t blame her. She had been at the same school for two years and had made lots of nice friends, and leaving those friends is a big deal. Not only is she leaving her friends, but the new school has a dress code that requires uniform type clothing. My daughter is very much about clothes and enjoys wearing all sorts on colorful tops. She is especially fond of pink and purple of which neither is an option for the new school. As we were shopping I found her several times picking up clothes only to say, “But I can’t wear it next year.” I felt a bit bad and that added to my own anxiety about this new school year.

Yes that is right, my anxiety. I wonder what the other parents will be like. I worry that she hasn’t learned enough to be successful in this new program (even though she had to pass a test before she would be placed in the school). I fear that I have made the wrong decision and that down the road in therapy somewhere she will be telling them that part of her current problems is the fact that her parents moved her to a charter school starting in 2nd grade. (It may sound irrational, but I often worry about the psychological effect I am having on my children.)
But as all this races through my head, I try to remember that I can only do what I think is best at the time with information that is available and to this moment, I still believe this is the best move for my daughter.

So here we go! Down the path of uniforms, new friends, new teachers, and new experiences. I am excited for my daughter and worried for her all at the same time. It will be what it will be and we will just roll with the punches as they go!

I hope you all had a great summer and are ready for another school year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing Schools

My daughter was finally selected in the lottery for one of our local charter schools. We placed her on both lists before she entered kindergarten and had hoped to be pulled then, but it was not to be. Upon receiving the email my husband and were quite excited. We really like the way things are taught at the charter school and the depth at which they are taught. So we decide to go ahead and begin the process. The first step was our daughter had to take an assessment test. I must admit I was nervous as to whether or not my daughter would meet their "standards" for second grade. Don't get me wrong, my daughter is bright, but as a parent you often wonder, it is just because I am her mom that I think she is so smart? Anyway, I think I was more stressed out about the test than she was. I did the usual mom thing and said just do the best you can do and that is all you can do. It was quite interesting to hear the other moms talk while we waited for the students to come back from ...

It's Confession Time - I'm NO Chef

First I'd like to say "HI" to all my new followers. Thank you so much for following my blog!! So I must confess that I cannot cook. I often think to myself what kind of mom can't cook, and occasionally I feel bad about this. If it weren't for my husband I think my kids and I would have to live on cereal. So people say, oh you can cook, you just don't try. Well let me tell you a little story about my first beef stew. My husband and I had been married maybe a month and I decided I would be the perfect wife and make a stew that would be ready when he got back from choir practice. So I pulled out the cookbook. (A good place to start, right?) It called for stew meat, which we had. So I pulled it from the freezer, and thawed it a bit in the micro and then floured it and placed the meat in the bottom of the stew pot to cook. I then looked at the rest of the recipe, and I was missing a few things. I did not have any potatoes, but I did have a can of peas. So I would s...

Twelve Years Ago Today...

Today is my husband and mine 12 year anniversary. It seems so hard to believe that it has been 12 years since I walked down the aisle and married my WONDERFUL husband. To celebrate we went to dinner at the Rodizio Brazilian Grill in downtown Fort Collins. It was fun to have dinner without kids for a change. We just got to sit and eat, enjoy the food and the atmosphere. I am rather fond of meat, so this was a great choice. They bring skews after skews of meat to your table for you to try. They had glazed ham and bacon wrapped chicken and tenderloin. It was VERY TASTY!! I bit expensive, but we had saved and knew that going in. They also have a salad bar that had one of the best crab salads I've tasted. After dinner we went to Barnes and Noble (our favorite store) and wandered around (again without kids). We were able to actually look at books rather than just run in and out, as the kids get a little bored just looking a books, unless it to books for them of course ;). The general man...