Skip to main content

Dealing with the Argumentative 6 year old

I am sure that I am not the only one with a 6 year old that thinks every subject is a debate. My daughter Makayla is constantly arguing with my husband and me over even the simplest things. We tell her five more bites at dinner and she says how about three. We tell her to go get her shoes on and she begins a dissertation on why she can't and how long it will take her. We couldn't take it anymore and have instituted the following rule. When she argues with us, she pays us $1.

Please note that Makayla gets money from her grandparents and other family members all the time. At the beginning of this week she had over $60. I say had because since then she has lost $19. I thought we were making progress until she had a total melt down at the restaurant last night and lost $8 at dinner alone along with TV for a week.

She is pretty stubborn, but I think last night let her know we were serious. I'm sure when she has to take the money out of her piggy bank it will hit home. That is what helped the last time. I hope it does because I would like a peaceful weekend.

If any of you reading this have the same issue, I'd love to hear your solutions!

God bless all of you and have a great weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing Schools

My daughter was finally selected in the lottery for one of our local charter schools. We placed her on both lists before she entered kindergarten and had hoped to be pulled then, but it was not to be. Upon receiving the email my husband and were quite excited. We really like the way things are taught at the charter school and the depth at which they are taught. So we decide to go ahead and begin the process. The first step was our daughter had to take an assessment test. I must admit I was nervous as to whether or not my daughter would meet their "standards" for second grade. Don't get me wrong, my daughter is bright, but as a parent you often wonder, it is just because I am her mom that I think she is so smart? Anyway, I think I was more stressed out about the test than she was. I did the usual mom thing and said just do the best you can do and that is all you can do. It was quite interesting to hear the other moms talk while we waited for the students to come back from ...

It's Confession Time - I'm NO Chef

First I'd like to say "HI" to all my new followers. Thank you so much for following my blog!! So I must confess that I cannot cook. I often think to myself what kind of mom can't cook, and occasionally I feel bad about this. If it weren't for my husband I think my kids and I would have to live on cereal. So people say, oh you can cook, you just don't try. Well let me tell you a little story about my first beef stew. My husband and I had been married maybe a month and I decided I would be the perfect wife and make a stew that would be ready when he got back from choir practice. So I pulled out the cookbook. (A good place to start, right?) It called for stew meat, which we had. So I pulled it from the freezer, and thawed it a bit in the micro and then floured it and placed the meat in the bottom of the stew pot to cook. I then looked at the rest of the recipe, and I was missing a few things. I did not have any potatoes, but I did have a can of peas. So I would s...

Twelve Years Ago Today...

Today is my husband and mine 12 year anniversary. It seems so hard to believe that it has been 12 years since I walked down the aisle and married my WONDERFUL husband. To celebrate we went to dinner at the Rodizio Brazilian Grill in downtown Fort Collins. It was fun to have dinner without kids for a change. We just got to sit and eat, enjoy the food and the atmosphere. I am rather fond of meat, so this was a great choice. They bring skews after skews of meat to your table for you to try. They had glazed ham and bacon wrapped chicken and tenderloin. It was VERY TASTY!! I bit expensive, but we had saved and knew that going in. They also have a salad bar that had one of the best crab salads I've tasted. After dinner we went to Barnes and Noble (our favorite store) and wandered around (again without kids). We were able to actually look at books rather than just run in and out, as the kids get a little bored just looking a books, unless it to books for them of course ;). The general man...